Monday, October 06, 2014

Release the Kraken!

I don't always like showing a work in progress, but I was happy with this piece and thought I'd post it before adding color. The theme a few days ago over at "sketch dailies" was "Squidward". I thought I'd have some fun and cast him as the giant squid from "20,000 Leagues", with some other members of the Spongbob team fighting at close quarters with this most tenacious of all sea beasts. And wouldn't you know, earlier this evening,  I was at an event at the Paley Center in Beverly Hills for the opening of a "Jay Ward" retrospective exhibit, which was also attended by the voice of SpongeBob himself, Tom Kenny. (Tom is also the new voice of "Bullwinkle", which was why he was at the event). I mustered the courage to show him my little piece of fanart, which he was kind enough to sign, and to add his own caption to. Total, total serendipity! I just happened to have the drawing in my car, and ran out to get it, and a Sharpie, during the reception after the presentation. So, here's the drawing with Tom's autograph, and a picture of Tom which I took. The color version of the piece will be coming soon.


1 comment:

Charles Z said...

Great story and very enjoyable art.